Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hosanna

I have complete and utter sorrow in my heart for those who are suffering in Uganda and all over Africa, actually, all over the world. Tonight I had the wonderful privilege of hearing (for the second time!) a presentation from the organization, Invisible Children. In short, Invisible Children is an organization that works in Uganda and throughout Eastern Africa to save children from being abducted or murdered due to the war. (Here is their website for the whole story: http://www.invisiblechildren.com ) Each time I think about what is going on over there, my heart wrenches. These children have no idea of what a life of peace means. All that they know is war, violence, murder, illness, and suffering. Many of these children were abducted at a very young age by the rebels and watched their parent(s) be murdered right before their eyes. Imagine how horrible it must be to endure that, to have your entire family murdered, to be abducted and beaten, scared and alone. And to think that these kinds of things do not happen only in Uganda, but all over our world. I consider myself so fortunate.

Recently I have had a song on my mind. "Hosanna" means "save us." Here are some of the song's lyrics:

Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna in the highest.
Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna in the highest.
Heal my heart and make it clean.
Open up my eyes to the things unseen.
Show me how to love like you have loved me.
Break my heart for what breaks yours.
Everything I am for your kingdom's cause.
As I walk from earth into eternity.

There is so much aid that is needed all over the world. And it breaks my heart to hear about situations like the one in Eastern Africa. It is a constant battle of good versus evil because the devil is always at work. He is always trying to tear down the kingdom of God. But God is at work and we should be working right alongside Him to rectify the horrible acts that are taking place to God's children. I always wonder why God doesn't just put an end to it with the snap of His fingers. I do not doubt that he is capable of it, but sometimes I wonder why He allows acts like these to continue. And I guess I will never know until my work here is done and I am called home. But I do know that until I am, I have a job to do. And my job is to be the light of my Lord in a world of darkness. Though I cannot change the situation in Uganda, I CAN do my part in giving what I can financially and most importantly, praying and spreading the word. People need to be aware of the happenings of this world and Christians are called out to take a stand against evil, even if in the smallest way. Each time we do something nice for another being, we make God smile. And I have discovered that this is my daily goal: to make my God smile.

What amazes me about Invisible Children is that these kids have been through things that I can't even imagine being subjected to and they have this huge love for the Lord and amidst the violence and inequality and horrible horrible happenings in their lives, they strive for peace and they strive for a better life. I wish to do all that I can to help.

My prayer and hope is the God will continue to open my eyes and my heart. I want to live in the footsteps of Jesus. I want my heart to break for what His heart breaks and most of all I want to be a light in the darkness and an example of my God's love.
Love and Peace, Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment