Sunday, January 9, 2011

New year, New attitude

It has been quite some time since my last post. Holidays sure are a busy time of the year. Mine were full of roller-coasters: lots of ups and downs.

Around Christmas I had a pretty bad attitude (to say the least). I had been so looking forward to a long-awaited family cruise which we ended up needing to cancel at the last minute. I was heart-broken. I had been looking forward to a much needed time of relaxation and fun with family to celebrate an end to our struggles throughout the past few years. I was upset and angered at the fact that we could no longer go. I was so stuck on ruined plans and had forgotten about all of the blessings in my life. Christmas is not about presents under the tree (or even HAVING a tree). It is not about vacations and it is not about money. Christmas is about love- the love that we have for our friends and family, and most importantly the love that Christ has for us.

I had a conversation with my dad about our collapsed vacation and he said something to me that really hit home. Yes, we didn't have our usual tree; we didn't have our usual presents; we missed out on our vacation; and our disappointment kept growing and growing... BUT we have never missed a meal. We have a roof over our heads. We have so many things that most people in the world can only dream about. Sure, my car needs an oil change. My bathroom is in desperate need of remodeling. I really wouldn't mind owning a new camera, and our TV downstairs is on the fritz. But I have something that many people in our world envy: a loving family, a wonderful network of friends, and a God that loves me more than I can ever imagine.

This holiday season I have really been meditating on the fact that every single material possession is inadequate. The only thing I ever need, and the only thing that can truly satisfy, is the love of my God. I have been learning many lessons from Him this past year (and I am increasingly becoming convinced that He's got a sense of humor... and a funny way of teaching me the things I am too stubborn to accept). And though this has been a rough journey (which is no where near over), I (try to) welcome challenges with open arms and an open mind and heart.

I read a verse yesterday that rung true to my heart: "I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul." - Psalms 31:7

His love is all that we need and the only thing that sustains us.

Love and blessings for a wonderful New Year full of many surprises and lessons,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment